To grow your company online, you might be wondering if you should spend your time and resources in Search Engine Optimization (SEO) or Pay-Per-Click (PPC) paid search ads.
They both have positive and negative aspects, so is one better than the other?
Let’s look at both of them.
What Is Organic SEO?
SEO (search engine optimization) is the mechanism by which you configure a web page to rank as high as possible in the search engine rankings. It involves a process of improving a website’s visibility in search engines by making sure its content and page or websites are relevant, fresh, and accurately reflect the intended meaning of the content.
SEO is a very important aspect of any website, because it allows your website to have the best chance of being targeted by potential customers doing searches on Google, Bing or Yahoo!
A big part of this method is to figure out what the search engines want and then customize your website’s content correctly.
What are the benefits of Organic SEO vs Paid Search?
- Organic traffic has staying power. After you’ve been able to have the website score high in search engines, odds are great that you’ll be able to attract steady traffic.
- SEO is often a less expensive option than PPC. When you compare the two traffic sources, SEO comes out the winner of the two when you look at the traffic generated, but only as long as you are looking at the traffic that comes when you’ve achieved a high position in the search engines.
- Organic and local search results can be leveraged to massively drive new visitors to your website.
Some challenging parts of Organic SEO techniques:
- SEO takes time. It may take several months for your hard work to show significant results. If you don’t have time to wait for your site and content to index, SEO may not be the right decision for you.
- You need unique and quality content. People tend to read the best available information when it comes to content. It will be a lot of hard work, and it will take analysis and an imaginative mind. If you don’t have these skills yourself, you’ll benefit from recruiting a professional.
- Organic SEO isn’t a “set it and forget it” technique – it requires monitoring and some knowledge about the search engine ranking algorithms. You also need to have a really specific plan for keeping your content optimized and fresh (both of these items are a big factor in your ranking in search engines).
- Some topics or industries are really difficult or very competitive to achieve a high ranked in. In some situations it is really best (and more cost effective) to hire a professional who can help with organic SEO services.
What Is PPC Advertising?
PPC, or Pay-Per-Click Ads, is a tactic that helps you to advertise on search engines, delivering instant, direct traffic to your website.
Benefits of Paid Search vs Organic SEO:
- Fast results. Unlike SEO, where you’ll have to wait several months to see progress, it is possible to start attracting a lot of visitors to your website within a few hours using a successful PPC strategy.
- You can accurately target different demographics. With a well planned PPC campaign, you’ll be able to attract various groups of individuals. For instance, if you want to target a 30-year-old woman living in the UK who is passionate about food, you can reach her with your ads. SEO is not able to offer this level of detailed targeted advertising.
- You can experiment quickly and easily. With PPC, you can build a campaign and run A/B experiments so that you can test what works and what doesn’t work very effectively. SEO is a slower operation, so it will take time to come to some conclusion on the effectiveness of the SEO strategy..
Some disadvantages of PPC
- It can be expensive. If you’re in a challenging niche, PPC can be costly and your return on investment (ROI) may be poor because you’re learning which ads are working and which aren’t.
- Ads can become less effective. Using the same advertisements for each advertisement would result in them being boring and less successful. Switch up the copy and photos and update the ads to keep them running long-term.
Which is better – PPC or SEO?
When it comes to deciding whether SEO or PPC is better for your company, the best answer is that it just depends.
When should you use organic vs paid search?
If you want faster results, then PPC will be the best choice, because SEO will take longer to work.
For those with a limited budget, SEO would be a safer choice, as paid advertising can be costly, particularly if you don’t have any experience with them.
You might want to use both SEO and PPC in conjunction
When you use them together, you can seriously maximize the amount of traffic you can generate to your website! If you need help our team of digital marketing experts can help implement a strategy using organic SEO best practices and pay-per-click targeted advertising to help increase your visibility online. Please feel free to contact us with any question. We are happy to learn more about your business and answer any of your questions.